Pieces

Monday, October 4, 2010

Henke

I had the pleasure of seeing Robert Henke perform at the planetarium this past week. You can tell he is a genius in his field by listening to him babble for a few minutes about the simplicity of his experimentation. Quite amazing.

Of all that he spoke of in those brief moments at the show, it was his grounded take on the material he comes up with that struck me the most. For him it truly is a trial and error process. How refreshing for him to treat what he has accomplished as nothing more than years of doing it the wrong way in hopes of finding what does work.

His approach although not entirely new is a good reminder as to what is really important. What Ableton does is give you a platform from which almost anything is possible. Though, the paradox of choice is something Henke has touched on in the past, and certainly is a hurdle I am having to overcome.

His chance appearance in Denver solidified my intentions of using a fully midi template for performance/production so that everything I do is recorded. It doesn't have to be perfect, yet, the foundation I have laid will prove to be something totally unique.

What I have started now, will evolve and grow with me as I seek out new sounds and emotions.

-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment